Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Farm Panther

I have had a love affair with black cats since the year 2000. A young lady walked into the store I was working, with a little black kitten clinging to her chest. My new puppy needed a friend, so I took her in. She played with the puppy, she slept with my infant son, she nestled in my hair. Her time with us was too short, however, as I learned one Halloween night that other people have a problem with black cats.

After the tragic loss of yet another one of my dear black cats, Harold, I was ready to give up. I came back from a trip and my dear friend Mem asked me to take a look at what she had found while I was gone. What I saw that day made me tear up and my heart swell more than I thought possible.This handsome large framed cat was obviously underweight, no caretaker to be found, yet he was so friendly and agreeable to much of what the veterinarian put him through.


This guy was giving me the saddest, most soulful eyes I had ever seen. I knew he was supposed to come home with me. The day after the above photo was taken, he had a procedure to clean his swollen front paw, was given his shots and neutered, and was put on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine. 


He settled in very well, but within 24 hours of in home quarantine to allow him an adjustment period, as well as to heal from fight wounds, he darted out the basement door! I thought he was gone forever and I was ready to swear off black cats forever.


To my surprise and delight, this handsome fella came strutting back in to the yard just before dark, carrying a rat! I made him put down the rat before coming back inside, which did not go over very well. To him, he was thanking me for letting him out of the cage, for giving him attention and freedom to be himself. I finally decided on a name for him - Lafayette, after a character on a popular vampire series.


It came time to move, and Lafayette knew somehow what was going on. There was one point that I placed items in the trunk of my car and left it open. Lafay jumped in and laid on the items, refusing to move unless I physically scooped him up. 


I was worried before the move that he would not have an adjustment period indoors, since the home I was to stay in did not allow cats inside. So, I took Lafay to the ranch at a time I knew I would have a few hours to let him explore with me. I let him out of his carrier in one of my goat pastures, and all he did was survey the grounds, then follow me wherever I went.



Lafayette stayed in the tarp barn with the expectant mother goats that winter. He would sit on my shoulders during labor watch, and curl up with the babies while I was not there. 


Come spring, he explored much of the 96+ acres, but stuck very close to me whenever I made farm rounds.


He loves to lay atop of the vehicles to sun. I have also spotted him leaping from trees, from heights of at least 10 feet! When he lays on a branch, with his legs hanging down, he brings to mind a big black panther.


Another major life changed forced multiple moves within a year's time. Wherever we went, I knew he would be happy wherever I was. He is always happy to hunt and show me his kills, and he has taken on the job of farm protector. No outside critters are allowed in his personal abode, but he is happy to play with my dogs. 


Lafayette has been a wonderful and perfect fit for my little family since the day he arrived. No other cat has captured my heart, brought me more presents (rats, moles, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, even adult rabbits!), taken on an active role in protecting our territory, or so courageously faced many changes while in my care. This "farm panther," as I affectionately call him, has added much laughter to my life through some very difficult times in the last 2 and a half years. I pray he and I have many many more ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment