Sunday, September 6, 2015

Death and Taxes



I have passionately raised meat goats for the last four years. I have learned so much about these special creatures, their care, their benefits to farms, and their contributions to the dinner table. At one time, my herd was over 60 head. There were goats everywhere!

Goats in the field

Goats in the pen

Goats in the barn

Goats on the hay

Goats in the basement

Even in the car

And inside the house!


It hasn't been all cute and fluffy. It's been hard. Bone-chilling cold and puddles-from-my-sopping-clothes-wet hard. I've seen birth and death, sickness and health, profit and loss. And I have loved every moment. Farming may not be in my blood, but it is rooted deeply in my heart. Every goat has had a name, has taught me something about this journey, and has been a blessing in some way. Whether to provide laughter, comfort, meat, or milk, goats have fulfilled my dreams of being a rancher.

It is the most difficult thing I have had to do, to admit to myself that I am physically unable to be a true farmer at this point in my life. I have kicked and screamed and cried. But the reality is, I'm not doing myself any favors by torturing my body and my heart while I'm trying to focus on my health.

Since moving closer to town (but still in the woods), I have been able to cook for myself more often and keep my home more tidy. Sort of. I have been able to ride my horse and a friend's horse. Not often, but more so than I could have done when there were more goats and more farm chores. I've been able to spend time with dear friends who have been there for me through surgery and hospitalization and abandonment and the loss of everything I had worked so hard to attain.


Sophie Mae loves getting more one on one time

The puppies aren't complaining either

So, while I take a break from goat farming, I'm going to use those lessons I have learned from this experience to build a new dream, new goals, and new adventures. Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes. Letting go may be hard, but at least I'm still alive to experience it and make the most of it.
















1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good decision. You have to do what is best for you. After years of hubby being military we are going the other way and getting back into having livestock. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete