Friday, June 19, 2015

Why Posts About Welfare Offend Me

We see them all the time, memes in our news feed that say "like and share if you agree!" - ones like these:



And I used to share them. I used to judge those who *I* thought should be working. To some degree, I still do, but I am much more aware of it and much more loving toward those who I may have once judged.

I cannot move today. I am sitting in bed typing this, when there are a thousand other things i *want* to be doing, like working, yet, I am physically unable to. I had a really good day Monday, and I cleared around a nice sized house and then 300' of fence line with an 85cc Stihl weedeater. The job should have taken me an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Instead, it took me over 3 hours because I can barely grip the trimmer, my walking pace is that of an 80 year old woman rather than a 30-something, and I had to continually put the equipment down and stretch my back and switch sides to avoid collapsing to the ground. True story, no exaggeration.

So, you may have been one of those people who drove past and almost hit me on the side of the road, cussing me and saying "SEE! She can weed eat, why doesn't she just get a job?!"



Because. I throw up from the anxiety of driving too far a distance to get to a job. Then, I never know when I'm going to produce 12oz of saliva spontaneously in front of a customer, or when my esophagus is going to clamp shut so hard that I cannot swallow or speak. My brain has a difficult time putting words together out loud because of the hostile takeover pain has made in my synapses. Customers constantly question my flaking, itching skin, or they just don't want to touch me or anything I have touched. And because from one day to the next, I never ever know just how much I will be able to push myself, and employers rather like punctuality and reliability.

So, now you know why I am currently unemployed. I used to work. A LOT. I LOVED my job. I LOVED the people. I MISS them terribly. I wasn't rich, but by golly, I could live a nice life and take a lot of things for granted. I did things for fun like camping trips with the girls and horses, went out to local dives to sing karaoke, got tattoos that have very special meanings to me, rescued dozens and dozens of animals, made special trips to town to have lunch with friends at expensive sushi restaurants, and pursued and obtained my dream of owning and running a farm. I had a solid business plan, a great employer, nice vehicles that never broke down, what I believed to be a good relationship with a significant other, loads of friends to hang out with when ever I could find time, and tons of nice stuff... iPhone, Coach purse, expensive boots, whatever I wanted really.

But when you do not "look" sick, and some days are better than others, even those close to you will judge you. This is the point I am trying to make. You cannot judge someone in a checkout line using food stamps simply because they may still have a few nice things, or because they are wearing their pajamas. How do you know that the person standing in front of you cannot wear button up jeans because it will cause them excruciating pain for the rest of the day and tomorrow that will keep them from being able to tend their child? How do you know the nice cell phone they carry wasn't a gift, or purchased used at a lower cost? Or their brand name shoes? What if they had someone in their life who cared enough to give them something nice, since they didn't have anything at all???

You don't know. So please, do not think ill of those who are forced to used the welfare system. Yes, I agree there are some abusers of the system out there, but it is not our call to identify them from the line in Wal-Mart like a criminal line up. The government identifies and prosecutes plenty of abusers each year, and the majority are not the po'folk as you may believe. More often, it is greedy companies who abuse the system by creating fictitious transactions and billing our welfare system. Some examples can be found here.

Love one another. Truly LOVE them. Be patient and kind to others. Kindness is not just on the outside, be kind in your thoughts of one another as well. Do not lie to or cheat them. Do not cast them out of your life simply because you think they have made mistakes or because they cannot afford the luxuries you can. Love them whether they have nothing in the world to offer you. Love others without keeping score of how you feel you have been wronged. I have not yet fully mastered this lesson, but every day I promise you, I try.


Psalm 72:3-5King James Version (KJV)

The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness.
He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor.

Psalm 82:1-3King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

Proverbs 31:8-10King James Version (KJV)

Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

Matthew 7:1-3New International Version (NIV)

Judging Others

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Luke 6:36-38New International Version (NIV)

36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Judging Others

37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”


John 7:24New International Version (NIV)

24 Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”


Romans 2:1-3New International Version (NIV)

God’s Righteous Judgment

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?

Romans 14:2-3New International Version (NIV)

One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.

Romans 14:9-11New International Version (NIV)

For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]

Footnotes:

  1. Romans 14:10 The Greek word for brother or sister (adelphos) refers here to a believer, whether man or woman, as part of God’s family; also in verses 13, 15 and 21.
  2. Romans 14:11 Isaiah 45:23

2 Timothy 4:1-3New International Version (NIV)

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebukeand encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

James 2:3-4New International Version (NIV)

If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

James 4:10-12New International Version (NIV)

10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister[a] or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?



No comments:

Post a Comment